Flickr Widget

Monday, January 10, 2011

The hunt begins

For several years I've collected Russel Wright Iroquois Casual in ripe apricot and avocado yellow, with a few American Modern pieces in chartreuse thrown in for good measure. I have service for 16, along with all the serving pieces I need. As much as I love my collection, the "thrill of the chase" has been over for a while. Then several weeks ago, I posted about mixing and matching solid colors from one manufacturer with a patterns by another company, and I've been fascinated with the idea ever since.

My daughter and SIL gave me several pieces of Russel Wright American Modern in granite gray for Christmas this year, and a plot started to hatch in my head. What if I got more granite gray RW, especially bowls, platters and casseroles, and started collecting Metlox Aztec to go with it? That little glimmer of a thought has become my newest obsession, and now I have tons of Russel Wright and Metlox eBay listings on my watch list.

The plot will undoubtedly thicken, and I'll keep you posted.  In the meantime, here are pictures of the pieces of American Modern the kids got for me, as well as a great shot of several dramatic Aztec pieces, which came out in 1955 and is the third of four patterns in the Metlox Freeform line.

My new Russel Wright American Modern in granite gray
Metlox Aztec close-up
liveauctioneers.com
Metlox Aztec
liveauctioneers.com

14 comments:

  1. Your mixing and matching will look gorgeous. Your daughter and SIL "did good" on the granite gray pieces. I've decided to start the "thrill of the chase" for Franciscan Starburst. I must be KRAZY!! BTW - I love, love, love your new sofa and chair! Your decor is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo I want what's on the far right top in the bottom photo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Metlox Aztec, that's pretty ambitious. That stuff doesn't just pop up at the thrift stores. I see it at the Antique Malls here and there but it's always very pricey. I do love some of the Metlox patterns. I think that they are a most overlooked mid century style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Krazy4Mod: My kids are mid-century lovers, so I can always count on them to come up with good stuff! :) I think you and I both will be on a major hunt (or paying big bucks) if we want Starburst and Aztec, but it will be so worth it. And thanks for the nice compliments about my house. I'm glad you enjoyed taking a peek.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @1950sarh: Isn't that piece spectacular? I also have to have that tall coffee pot, and there's a boomerang dish I want too. Those are the top three items on my wish list. (I've seen the coffee pot for $249, so it may be on my list a while...LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Mr.Modtomid: Hey, I'm nothin' if not ambitious (which may be a nice way of saying foolhardy in this case). I don't even see Metlox Aztec in antique malls here, so I have a feeling I have a long, slow search for affordable pieces on eBay. I agree with you about Metlox being overlooked. I especially love the Freeform patterns, and they're not nearly as readily recognized as some other mid-century patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for introducing me to Metlox Aztec. It is absolutely gorgeous! Good luck with your search. I am certain you will have a beautiful collection going by year's end. You have such an eye Dana.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Midcenturymadam: I hope I get lucky and find some great deals on Aztec...but I tend to be a very impatient collector, so I have a feeling Replacements Limited will be selling a lot of that pattern this year...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful...beautiful...cant help drooling...:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent Christmas gifts. Love the idea of adding the Metlox Aztec to your collection. That stuff is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Sudha: The Metlox has some pretty price tags, so I may be doing a lot more drooling than buying for a while. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. @monogirl: My kids are great pickers. :) Now I'll put them to work helping me find the Aztec.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Uh, don't expect an Aztec coffeepot or divided vegetable bowl for Christmas next year unless we really hit the motherlode of a bargain.zzz

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a 1950's Metlox CA Aztec 64oz water pitcher for sale.

    ReplyDelete