Flickr Widget

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Foiled again

Hey, you! Yeah, you there in Austin, Texas. You know who you are. You're the one who beat me to the Adrian Pearsall chair at Room Service. You gotta lotta nerve!

To you innocent bystanders out there, here's what happened. I was looking at pictures on the Room Service Vintage website, and I was pretty sure I saw a Pearsall chair. I enlarged the thumbnail photo, and sure enough, it was a Pearsall chair, and a darn nice one at that, with the exception of what looked like a small hole in the upholstery on one arm. I coulda lived with that...or figured out some way to repair it.

But no...Austinite had to jump in the car, drive to Room Service at breakneck speed and grab it before I could call from Fort Worth to have them put it on hold.

You think you're smart, dontcha? Well, you know what? You are. Good call on a great purchase. Enjoy it!  Just be warned that I'm gonna put Room Service on speed dial.

The Adrian Pearsall chair that was almost mine...
adrianpearsall.com

14 comments:

  1. Ha, I was there when they opened yesterday and wasn't a bit surprised to find it had already sold.
    Furthermore, I was told they had it priced at just over $200- garage sale cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so sweet - even though they totally scooped it. I'd be a lot more grumblier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @1950sarh: Oh, I know. And just when you think you have something in your grasp...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. @twilignt_radio: Two hundred bucks? OMG...that's like pouring salt on the wound. I didn't have the heart to ask. I got a little no-name chair there not long ago for $169. I never dreamed they'd have it priced so cheap! I'm really groaning here. But congrats to the person out there with a good eye and fast feet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tanya: As much as I hate missing out on something like that, I know I could be the one doing the scooping on any given day. I think that's part of what makes all this so much fun. That being said, I have my phone dialing finger on a new exercise regimen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, don't you hate that?! I've been there so many times too but like you said, sometimes we're on the other end and someone else is complaining and we're the lucky new owners. Sorry you missed out! That's a beautiful chair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, it might have actually been $250 but regardless, Mind=Blown.
    Coincidently, I was just up at Austin Antique Mall and there is another Pearsall chair. This one, however, has a $600 tag and it's one of those cartoonish designs with the really tall back rest. I prefer the look of the one that sold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that was sweet of you to have forgiven the Austinite :)..i lost a beautiful cane sided day bed to a fellow atlanta (from a CL seller) and couldnt sleep that night :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Rhan Vintage: Doesn't it have nice lines? I have a new quest now. I'll find another one someday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @twilight_radio: There's a tall-backed wing chair by Pearsall at Lula B's in Dallas...but they want $2500 for it!!! That's out of my league, for sure. But I like the lower profile chairs better too, so I'll just keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Sudha: Sometimes it is extremely disappointing to lose a piece that you love and know you'll probably never find again. Luckily, I was going to buy the chair to sell in our store, not to use in my home. If I'd wanted it for myself, I might not have been so forgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know I are very disappointed,as I would. I know that feeling all to well.2 years ago I missed out on a Drexel precedent cocktail table and end table set at the salvation army. It had the sold sign.they sold it for %220.00. I still think about that set

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Leah: Like fishermen, I guess we all have "the one that got away" that we never stop thinking about. :)

    ReplyDelete