Flickr Widget

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Shop: Beginnings

It's official. The papers are signed and the previous tenant has moved out. We picked up the key to the store Friday and started moving in. Over the next few days, I'll give you tiny glimpses of what to expect in when we open.

830 Exposition Avenue, Suite 103...
 with workmen painting and
polishing the inside to perfection last Friday

If you live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and think the address sounds familiar or think you've seen the store before, you're probably right. Our store is going into the space formerly occupied by Atomica Modern.

Our new sign...put up Sunday night

My daughter and SIL almost pulled their hair out over the sign project. Positioning over 12 feet of stickiness on the inside of glass...getting it straight as well as getting all the bubbles out...turned out to be more of a job than they realized, especially following another 6-hour round trip out of state the previous day to buy more merchandise and a big unload Sunday afternoon. As tired as they were, they did a stellar job on the sign!

That's a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng sign to keep straight and bubble-free.

So it's really happening. After weeks of talking about it and then weeks more of searching everywhere for inventory, it's all starting to come together. The most unexpected turn of events is that my daughter and SIL have decided to sell their house and move into the living quarters behind the store...at least temporarily, till the store is up and running. Even then, they've decided to stay in Dallas, since that's where the business is.

Naturally, I won't want to make that 70-mile round trip drive everyday either, so I'll put my house on the market too. Maybe with some luck I'll be able to find one of those great Dallas mid-century gems that I've been posting about. A Cliff May maybe?

20 comments:

  1. Wow, BIG changes! You are one Courageous family. If we manage to make it out to Canton for a First Monday some time this summer we'll try to drop by! I'll be sure to let you know. Maybe we'll do some "horse trading"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting!! Nice looking storefront and the sign looks fabulous. It's definitely eye catching. All this wonderful news and a possible Cliff May home is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting.... really happy for you. Best wishes. I know your store is going to be awesome. I think its great that its a family affair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Can't wait to hear and see more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! The storefront really looks amazing. I can't wait to see the inside.

    Good luck with all of the house-selling/moving! If anyone has any sense, your house will get sold very very quickly, I'm sure. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your go for it attitude! When is opening day? Now I want to start searching the real estate listings in that area to see what MCM goodies are out there. Hope both your homes sell quickly and for top dollar. The store front and sign look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! So excited to check out the new store- with babies on the way we're going to need a few things :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOOHOO! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO exciting! I can't wait to see the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ignore all the emails I just sent! It helps if I read the entire blog post before I send emails...

    Congrats! Super exciting to see what you do and let us know when opening day is, we will be there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @All of you: Thanks for all the encouragement and good wishes! We're very excited. It did take a lot of courage for Joe to quit his job to start the store, and for them to be willing to sell their beautiful home shows you just how committed they are. We're all working very hard to make this a store we can be proud of...and one that you will find beautiful and innovative and full of exciting finds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to stop by. If you are looking for a mcm there is nice one on Eustis av in little forest hill. Check out David Griffin's real estate site for details. Realtor Ed Murchison also specializes in mcm homes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Congratulations! I am so excited for you! Wow!!! I can't wait to see the inside too!
    Cool..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - That really IS exciting!
    Next time I'm in the Dallas -Fort Worth area, I'll stop by. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. *Squee!* Congratulations on your labor of love! I can't wait to read all the updates as it all comes together :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations - how amazingly exciting. The building looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @TheEnglishOrganizer: Things are coming along nicely on the inside too. My SIL is almost finished building a wall between the store and apartment in the back, and after we paint the new wall and door, it will be move-in time.

    ReplyDelete