Flickr Widget

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Fifty years from now: Sierra Yip-Bannicq

Sierra Yip-Bannicq
The latest in my series on designers I predict will still be popular fifty years hence is Sierra Yip-Bannicq (c. 1991- ), a 2013 graduate of New York's Pratt Institute who is based in Brooklyn, New York. She participated in the 2012 Danish Institute for Study Abroad and is currently employed as a production assistant for PELLE Designs.

She has an extensive and impressive body of work that belies her age and demonstrates unequivocally her talent and her determination to make a name for herself in the field of industrial design.

Her inspiration comes from working with new materials and processes, and her style exudes the simplicity of Modernism and the beauty and precision of handcraftsmanship. She has done outstanding work in wood and steel, and her latest projects have employed concrete, poly foam, sand cast aluminum, slip cast porcelain and 3D printed plastic.

As if that weren't enough, she's also an accomplished collage artist and photographer, capturing some of the most compelling shots I've seen in quite some time.

I think we should all keep an eye on this young woman. She's here to stay.

From sierrayb.com


Loop chair
sierrayb.com

Marrow table
sierrayb.com

Lyra stool
sierrayb.com

CIG floor light
sierrayb.com

Clover pouf
sierrayb.com

Nook desk and stool
sierrayb.com

Storage "nook" in back keeps desk clutter-free
sierrayb.com

Vine bowls
sierrayb.com

Durian vase
sierrayb.com

Wickered bowl
sierrayb.com

Vasa cup
sierrayb.com

Beached  bottles
sierrayb.com

Penguin...which you know I want!
sierrayb.com

Loud Pipes (taken in Shanghai)
sierrayb.deviantart.com

Let a Hundred Flowers Bloom
sierrayb.deviantart.com

Chai
sierrayb.deviantart.com

14 comments:

  1. Lovely bowls. I like the colors...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several of her ceramic pieces come in a range of colors. Check out the Vasa cup colors on her website.

      Delete
  2. The texture on the wickered bowls is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an art teacher, I'm sure you appreciate how talented she is and how much she's accomplished at age 22.

      Delete
  3. Very cool! I love the Marrow Table- great material combination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that table too. The materials and lines are fantastic!

      Delete
  4. I think you're right. She's a very talented designer. Her style is the new classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just blows me away that she has created so many beautiful pieces at her age. What will she have done by the time she's 30? 40?

      Delete
    2. So many beautiful pieces, yes, but in so many different media, too.
      Lovely. Thank you for sharing.

      And I want that nook desk & stool!

      Delete
    3. I think that desk and stool are wonderful...and the stool can double as a side table.

      Delete
  5. I'm lovin those bowls, especially the wickered ones. Very cool pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are very pretty...but I'm in love with the penguin! :)

      Delete
  6. I tend to focus more on the furniture design than other pieces, but they are all gorgeous and love her range in materials. Yes, that penguin is way fun! Love the desk and stool, the loop chair and Marrow table! Look forward to seeing more of her work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as she's produced already, I think we'll see much more from her in the future. I expect this is just the tip of the iceberg.

      Delete