Flickr Widget

Monday, November 4, 2013

Fuller House tour

A few days ago, I posted the latest news about the A. Quincy Jones home near me that barely escaped demolition. I was elated that it had been purchased and restored and was the site of a VIP party a couple of weeks ago.

At about the same time of that post, I heard from Charles Cooley, an instructor at the Art Institute of Fort Worth and the architectural consultant on the renovation. He had seen my blog posts and offered me a private tour of the home, which was the subject of a recent article in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. (The article contains some before and after shots, as well as photos of other rooms and closets.)

Yesterday, after months of writing about the home, I finally got to see it for myself. I was joined by my daughter and SIL and several friends who also own homes from that era and share our passion for design.

At some point in the future, Cooley, as well as an interior designer who works with him and his student who took the cover photo for the print article will do a guest post and answer any questions you have about the home's history and their role in the renovation. Be sure to jot down anything you'd like to ask and email me or leave it in the comment section.

Cooley, an architect and an architectural photographer, will be sending me his photographs of the house, but today I'm sharing with you some shots my daughter and SIL made during yesterday's tour.

Links to my previous posts about this house:

A. Quincy Jones home faces demolition

Update on the A. Quincy Jones House in Fort Worth

Nick of Time

Fuller House is the site of VIP party


Exterior - Entrance to maid and nanny's and 5 garages to the right; main entrance to the left

Living room fireplace

Close-up of living room fireplace

Looking out of living room into back yark

Library

Grandson #2 checking out the original metal kitchen cabinets

Close-up of cabinet detail

Fountain

Close-up of fountain

Bathroom hardware

Bathroom hinges

Daughter and Grandson #1 with friends

Exterior - Back

The real estate listing for the property has some beautiful shots of the house, several taken by Cooley.

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They were absolutely breathtaking in person...and the wood was beautiful beyond words!!!

      Delete
  2. It's truly spectacular, Dana!! What an amazing experience it must have been to visit it, so happy for you!! My favorite is the library! I have a weakness for the use of interior wood panelling in modernist homes. Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The library is magnificent...round...unbelievably beautiful wood. I was simply speechless. To know that A. Quincy Jones designed the house, T. H. Robsjohn-Gibbings made custom furniture for the geometric-shaped rooms and Billy Haines decorated it...amazing!!!

      Delete
  3. That last exterior shot looks like a Hockney painting! Love it. I was just swooning over all of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about it, but you're right. That could easily be a Hockney scene!

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful house, down to the details (hinges!).
    If I owned that house, the library will be my headquarters. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could live in that library for the rest of my life. It's like a big, round haven. I just had to get a photo of those hinges. They were so beautifully crafted.

      Delete
  5. oh my!.....is that a stone diving board??....dream pool (and a little fred flinstone!!)....the fireplaces are jaw droppers x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a lot of bounce out of that diving board, but it surely is pretty. We had to keep a close eye on the kids. We showed them a point on the diving board past which they couldn't even think about going...and, of course, they wanted to see if they could push it an inch more...and then another inch.

      Delete
  6. did your daughter offer to furnish it for the showings??.....imagine how fab it would look!! the night shots are amazing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I'm the one who does the staging for events. We may stage a room or two for an AIA meeting this month.

      Charles Cooley is the one who did the night shots. They're really fabulous, aren't they?

      Delete
  7. The library Dana, the library!
    Glad to see you're giving the grandies an education in mid-century architecture x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG...I wish you could see that library in person...so round, so walnut...and so beautiful. You'd love it. Poor grandies...it's all they know. Someday they'll realize that there really are other styles out there. They'll probably go a completely different style direction, just to be rebellious! :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Can you believe that this was less than a week away from being bulldozed to the ground?

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness this is incredible! Such beautiful details. And oh how I would love to have those living room windows!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were huge windows like that throughout the house and gorgeous details everywhere you looked. You would have loved seeing it in person. I hate that you missed it!

      Delete