Flickr Widget

Saturday, March 15, 2014

In the store: Ditzel, Robsjohn-Gibbings and Hundevad

My SIL recently went on a buying trip that was supposed to go up the east coast, back across to Chicago and then down through the Midwest, but you know what Robert Burns said about best-laid schemes. They gang aft agley...or, to borrow a military acronym, they often result in a SNAFU. After getting stuck for a few days somewhere around Virginia or Maryland when the transmission went out on the truck, he finally got tired of day trips in a rented cargo van and bought a new passenger van. All was well, even though his itinerary was cut in half. He went as far as Pennsylvania before heading home and brought back plenty of gorgeous pieces.

One is an exquisite rosewood desk by Nanna Ditzel that has been fully restored. The shapely legs on this piece are uniquely beautiful. Also, there's an out-of-this-world dresser by T. H. Robsjohn-Gibbings for Widdicomb that has been painstakingly restored as well. Finally, there's a remarkable teak credenza by Poul Hundevad that is in excellent original condition. Its tambour doors open to reveal a beech interior that is nothing short of phenomenal.


Nanna Ditzel rosewood desk

Top view of Ditzel desk

Close-up of Ditzel desk

Solid walnut dresser by T. H. Robsjohn-Gibbings for Widdicomb

Robsjohn-Gibbings dresser

Teak tambour door credenza by Poul Hundevad

Beech interior of Hundevad credenza

6 comments:

  1. These are beautiful but I must confess to a deep-seated love of rosewood, so a rosewood desk would have my deep and abiding love...especially one as gracefully made as this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what it is about that top view with the drawers open, but the minute I saw that photo, I was smitten with this desk.

      Delete
  2. All are nice, but I especially like the Hundevad credenza. Very functional as well as beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love pieces with tambour doors but when it's the beech interior that really makes this credenza an eye catcher.

      Delete
  3. My God, that desk! I don't know why it just seems so perfect to me, maybe because it's so timeless and versatile. I could see it in any room in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is a classic piece and one of the most beautiful desks we've ever had in the store.

      Delete