Flickr Widget

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The iconic kidney table

Mid-century designers, from the famous to the anonymous, loved natural forms and shapes. It's no surprise, then, that the human body served as a source of inspiration. After all, what's more organic than an organ?

The kidney shaped table was an iconic design piece in the 1950s. Made of wood, glass, metal, tile or Formica, it graced both mansions and tiny apartments. Take a look back at a few of them.


Adrian Pearsall kidney table
1stdibs.com

Isamu Noguchi table
1stdibs.com

Enzo Mari kidney tables
1stdibs.com

Victor DiNovi kidney table
1stdibs.com

Charlotte Perriand kidney tables
1stdibs.com

Italian lazy susan kidney table
1stdibs.com

Mosaic kidney table
1stdibs.com

Formica kidney table
icollector.com

Kidney table by Lane
houzz.com

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm a fan of Pearsall's wood and glass tables too.

      Delete
  2. I agree. That Pearsall table is something rather special. It would look great in our new house too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love so many of his designs, including this table. I can definitely see it in your house.

      Delete
  3. The Victor DiNovi speaks to me! I also really like the tile mosaic one with the inlay sunburst pattern. The Kidney table that I have in the Den (turquoise room) I found at an estate sale for $1.00. It was a handmade Christmas present for someone in 1957, and is so written on the underside of the table!

    ReplyDelete