Flickr Widget

Saturday, November 22, 2014

It's paperwhites time!

Another favorite Christmas tradition of mine is having the delightful smell of paperwhites in the air during the holidays. My grandmothers and my mother always grew them when I was a child, and I've grown them myself most holidays during my adulthood.

If you've never had a paperwhites Christmas (or if you just need a refresher tutorial on how to force them), here's a great article that will get you started.







I just finished planting mine...in a Russel Wright bowl. Now there's nothing to do but make sure they have water and wait for the heavenly scent of their blooms.



homesteadgardens.com

6 comments:

  1. So pretty! I love learning other's Christmas traditions. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to know about other's traditions too. I'm sure I'll give periodic updates on my paperwhites. You have a great weekend as well.

      Delete
  2. Love to look at them, but can't have them. I did some bulbs last year and the smell gave me daily headaches. It took me some time to figure that out, lol. Now I have to addmire from afar. Love how you've potted them, and hope you show us an update later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, mountain cedar is the only plant I'm allergic to. I'd be so disappointed if paperwhites started giving me problems! I'll definitely update you on mine. :)

      Delete
  3. Nice flowers. Like other winter plants though the weather is too hot for them in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grow these indoors and force them so they bloom during the holidays. We've had a little cold weather this year, but it was back up to 76 today. I'm having trouble finding enough consecutive cool days to plant my outdoor bulbs for spring blooming, so I completely get it about fall and winter plants in a warm area. I planted some chrysanthemums for fall, and it was so hot that they didn't do well at all.

      Delete