Flickr Widget

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Celebrating Wirkkala's centennial

Tapio Wirkkala was born in Hanko, Finland, in 1915. (He was born in June, but Iittala is already celebrating, and who am I to quibble with Iittala?) He designed everything from glass products to banknotes, knives, jewelry, furniture, and graphic arts, winning a number of awards during his career, including three gold medals at the Milan Triennale in 1951, followed by another three in 1954. He was also director of the University of Arts and Design in Helsinki for many years.

As Wirkkala is one of my favorite designers, I have written several posts about him over the years.

Icy goodness
Works in wood
Tapio Wirkkala jewelry
Tapio Wirkkala for Rosenthal
Video

Celebrate the hundredth-year anniversary of his birth and treat yourself to one of his extraordinary designs. I just bought a little Wirkkala leaf bowl by Rosenthal like this to hold my rings at night, and I have my eye on a Pearl Drops vase and a beautiful Full Moon pendant.

From iittala.com


etsy.com - moderndesign20


iittala.com

2 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful wee bowl, and you deserve a treat if anyone does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His leaf designs are so beautiful to me...and I'm always up for self-treating. :)

      Delete