Flickr Widget

Sunday, August 28, 2016

1970s time capsule

I received an email from Estately public relations manager Candace Ramirez with photos of a house she thought I might find interesting. Although the decor is past the cutoff date for the mid-century design that I love, it is too much fun to pass up.

Listed for $624,900, the 3600 square foot home in Framington, Massachusetts, was built in 1969, just a year before I finished college. It has 14 rooms, including a 21' living room, large formal dining room with separate serving room containing a built-in buffet, a St. Charles kitchen with separate 12' breakfast room, a multi-room master suite with sitting room and office, and a 19' family game room with wet bar. The professionally landscaped grounds feature a 40' x 21' heated gunite pool with loads of decks and brick patios.

Amazingly, it looks as if the interior has been hermetically sealed for the past 40 years or so.

All images from estately.com

















Finally, my favorite. It's so garishly awful that it tips over into awesome. If this didn't bring a smile to your face, you must be having a seriously bad day. Cheer up!



9 comments:

  1. Well Dana, I LOVE it! (although the pink bathroom is a bit o.t.t.)
    Thanks for sharing.
    We've just bought a new house! (I'm pretty sure you'll HATE it though...)
    I'll send you an email with details when/if I'm feeling brave enough ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This house completely embodies the decor of my young married days...what I would have wanted if we could have afforded it. If you love your new house, that's all that matters, but you know I'll love it if you love it, so send that email. I'm dying to know all about it. You have such an incredible flair for decorating that I'm sure you have some magical plan.

      Delete
  2. I think the way you decorate won't be dated in 30 years. Probably any wall paper will be dated though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that wallpaper dates a room more than anything else does.

      Delete
  3. Wow that place looks like a set for a Tarantino film! Love the twin bed bedspreads, and bar stools are gold. All cheered up my day no end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the way those twin beds are pushed together to fit a king headboard. Must be the very devil to make up the beds! :)

      Delete
  4. Hermetically sealed is right! I helped my best friend hang very similar foil wallpaper when she bought her first home in the seventies. Brings back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This house is wild!!! So massive, too. What great potential...

    ReplyDelete